Swan Inn, Rowberrow


Location - Swan Inn, 
Rowberrow Ln, 
Rowberrow, 
Winscombe 
BS25 1QL


Date of Visit - 07/04/2018


The Food

8 -Pickled Onion. The pickled onion was not at all bad, and would certainly pass muster for most.
 I'm just very particular, as I prefer the pickled Shallot.  It was crunchy, not too acidic, but slightly lacking in the hard to describe taste of a good pickled onion (notable, that it would be a shallot)

10 -Pickle. The pickle was a victory, an sublime chutney, that if was not made on site, then I suspect made by a well know and respected local manufacturer. Light, slightly zingy, spicy aromatic after-tones but far from hot, acidic refreshment without being acidic.  A triumph of the chutney world and a great boon to the non-cheese items.

10 -Cheese / Ham. There was Westcombe Dairy Cheddar  which was light and flavoursome. There was half of an exquisite pork pie - I know not its origin, but it was a good as the amazing Castle Cary Pork Pies. However, the surprise was the indescribably good Chicken and duck terrine. Somehow, it managed to be light and solid at the same time, involving a robust layer of very good bacon on the outer, the inner is solid, high quality meats (no mysterious items), perfectly cooked, tender, moist and with a journey of garlic and seasoning that made the mouth sing.  Add the chutney mentioned above, and taste heaven.
5 -Bread.  The bread might have been a quality bread, but I like my bread to be full on solid, full of gluten goodness to power me on for the day - old fahioned, artisan, proper French baguette or a sourdough type of thing. This was fluffy, and did not stand to the examination of the butter.
5 -Spread (better be butter, or a choice). It was butter, and not just at the right temperature for spreading (ignoring the failing of the bread) but a top quality butter from Netherend Farm .
5 -Presentation. Very pretty and delicate looking.  Almost to the extent that I thought it a bit too light on receiving.  However, whilst it looks delicate, it is very satisfying, and just the right size.
5 -Salad, etc. The salad itself was a large pinch of some leaves - these were though very fresh and tasty.  Nice to see somewhere brave enough to present leaves without feeling the need to drown them in a fancy dressing, but rather let them hold their own. There was also too a very nice, light coleslaw that was also fresh and tasty and not drowning in dressing, but rather crisp vegetables lightly coated in something light and surprising.
5 -Originality. Top marks for the Chicken and Duck terrine, never seen that on a ploughmans before. Nice. Also for me that was very noteworthy, Linen, not paper serviettes.  Even though I was outside, I had linen.  Now, not only is the a sign of quality, there was nothing about my food that on eating outside could contrive to become a litter issue. The only single use item was the butter pat, and that was foiled paper, and thus would not be an environmental issue.

Food total: 53

Beverages
10 - Tea. It was luncheon, and I was on a walk.  The tea service was very nice, interesting and practical cup and milk jug, and a tea pot that poured from the spout not from the lid. All very satisfying.  Tasty tea - brilliant.  There seemed to be a good range of other drinks, so if I was there in the evening I would probably have been pleased.  




Drinks Total: 10

The venue

10 -Service. The service was exemplary! In some ways I had the misfortune to order at the same time as a pre-booked party of 20+ people.  However, I was not in a rush, and I had my tea.  After 15 - 20 minutes I without prompt received a visit from a very apologetic waitress explaining about the wait, who offered me a complimentary drink.  I had more tea, which pleased me immensely. The food seemed to arrive 5 short minutes later, a not unreasonable wait for fresh prepared food. Very, very impressed with the service.
10 -Atmosphere. Atmosphere seemed very convivial in the pub. I was outside, a few other hardy souls were too.  I detected that it might be a bit of an "in place" with the local "in crowd", but notwithstanding that, once again the service made me feel, as a lonely, slightly disheveled and a bit muddy day tripper out on a hike, very welcome.
5 -Location. Very nice location, in a bucolic Mendip village.  If it was that nice on a soggy spring day, goodnes knows what a bit of sunshine would do! Plenty parking, lovely village, pond opposite, quiet rural lanes, the promise of distant views (it was misty on my visit) and general practical quaintness.
4 -Toilets. Very practical and serviceable. Clean and functioning.  Almost feel a bit mean with a 4, but for the top quality of everything else, I was surprised the loos weren't just that extra level of niceness.  Perhaps I should give them 5?

Venue total: 29


Score: 92


Comments

Popular Posts